Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
What’s one of the BEST smells in the entire world? Walking into a house when chocolate chip cookies are baking. Another best?? Chocolate chip cookies…period! They are my absolute favorite cookie and when making them, my biggest challenge is leaving enough cookie dough to cook instead of eating it all myself! (I haven’t died from eating raw cookie dough yet, haha!)
I’ve tried tons of recipes and by far, my tested, tried and true recipe is the Ghirardelli chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve made them every way you can imagine with this recipe; big cookies, soft cookies, crispy cookies, cookie cakes, cookie bars, you name it, I’ve baked it!
I prepared them a few weeks ago and made cookie bars instead of the traditional cookie. They are crispy on the edges and soft in the middle, exactly how I love them! So what’s the twist? I add an extra teaspoon of vanilla and I add extra chocolate chips. It makes them a little more flavorful plus, you can NEVER have enough chocolate!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Ingredients
2.5 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine flour with baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl (I use my handy KitchenAid Mixer), beat butter with sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy and lightened in color.
- Add eggs and vanilla, one at a time. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Add a 1/2 cup of the flour mixture into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if you like).
- Drop cookie dough into a greased, 9×13 inch pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
*Tip: I like to combine milk and semisweet chocolate chips sometimes! It gives a great depth of flavor.
Happy baking and enjoy!